Monday 27 February 2017

Dad bedbound for three years faces jail after his business went bust while he was ill



Malcolm Munroe owned a construction firm but after he had a stroke three years ago it collapsed and he has now been handed a three-year jail term
A pensioner stuck in a Dubai hospital faces a prison sentence because his business went under.

Malcolm Munroe, 70, had a stroke three years ago and has been bedbound ever since.

His construction company crashed after his illness and creditors demanded payment.

After a court case in Dubai, he was handed a three year jail term over the unpaid debts.

Mr Munroe can barely move his head, is fed through a tube and is connected to an oxygen tank.

His wife and sons are 4,600 miles away after she flew to the UK for cancer treatment.
And his family say anyone linked to his company risks arrest if they set foot in Dubai.

His sister, Diane Kirkwood, 68, has appealed to MPs, the Foreign Office, the UK Embassy in Dubai and even Prince Charles in a bid to help her brother.

She told the Manchester Evening News: “It is heartbreaking for his wife, sons and us.

"We cannot go to visit him, we have to wait until somebody he knew in Dubai goes to see him and lets us know how he is.

“One person sends a photograph of him each week just lying in hospital.

“He turned 70 last November and we wonder how much longer he can survive.”
Malcolm, from Chorlton, Manchester, moved to the Middle East in the 1980s and later set up his own firm, employing hundreds of men.

While there he married his Ukrainian wife Olga and the couple have two sons, Alexandre, 16, and Paul, 14.

When Olga, 40, became ill, she and the boys flew back to Manchester.
Malcolm later suffered a massive stroke and was rushed to the Rashid Hospital in 2013.

Diane says the Dubai government later closed his company and in 2014 several creditors came forward.

His family say when they later asked the Foreign Office for advice about visiting the stricken pensioner, officials could not guarantee they would be able to pass through passport control without being stopped.

His sister said: “Anybody connected with the company will be asked to pay the debts owed when they enter the country.


"We wanted to visit for his 70th birthday but we were worried we would be stopped. We are worried we wouldn’t get any further than the airport.”

Friends have raised money to pay for a private flight to bring Malcolm back to the UK to continue his treatment.

But his sister said the Dubai authorities must first agree to release him.
“It is so sad to think his two sons, his wife and his family may never get to see him again. His family are in a mess and his sons are pining for him” she said.
“He moves his head from side to side and blinks, that’s it. Our friend says sometimes a tear will trickle down his face when he shows him pictures of the boys or Olga.

“You close your eyes and just picture him lying there with no family there to see him.

“We can’t afford to pay solicitors fees as my husband and I are both pensioners and Malcolm’s wife can’t afford it.

"But we’d appreciate any advice. We never thought it would go on for so long."

Wife Olga said: "I am heartbroken about the situation my husband is in. He was a very loving husband and a loving father. He is everything to me and the family.

"I need to stay positive for my children. People see my face and then think I am happy, but I hide my sadness. I don't want people to see my problems.

"I cry every night thinking about my husband.

"I want my husband to come back home. I spent a year by his bedside when he first fell ill. I was with him every day. Doctors told me not to come every day.

"I told them he could hear me. I played him music. I exercised his hands. And then one day he opened his eyes.
"It's heartbreaking for me to be away from him. Now when I send him pictures he cries when he looks at them.

"But I can't leave my children. I left my children for a year to look after him and I can't do it again.
"My husband is a lovely man. His heart is like a diamond. He always wants to help people.

"It's so hard for my children as well. They miss him terribly. They need their father.


"I am positive and I have hope that one day he will talk again and that I can bring him home and he can be with me and his family."

0 comments:

Post a Comment